Thursday, January 22, 2015

a reluctant prophet!?


I have a confession to make.  I am very much like Jonah - a reluctant prophet.  Like Jonah, I am a ‘sent one’ with a message.  I don’t know about you but I struggle sometimes with being a ‘sent one’.  I know I have a mission and a message.  How do I live in this world and be a messenger?  To be honest the whole proclamation thing intimidates me and confuses me.

Does it confuse you?  What do you say?  When do you say?  How do you say?  I don’t want to see people as projects and I am sure people don’t want to be ‘my project’.  And how does this fit in with incarnation - living out the Gospel, being the hands and feet of Jesus”?  Is it integrated?  Both/and?  Either/or?   

Perhaps I am too sensitive?  Maybe I care too much how people will receive the message I am commissioned to share?  I don’t want to hurt, offend or God forbid malign God’s message.  So I often stay quiet.  Does this resonate with you? Is that your experience? 

Or maybe I don’t care about people enough to share the greatest news one could possibly hear? 
These are only a few of the thoughts and feelings I have as I consider this weekend retreat – Embrace.  Please join us on this journey ... you are invited to be honest with yourself, honest with others and honest to God.   I look forward to learning with you how to Embrace: God, Neighbour and Stranger. 


Post by an older young adult

No comments:

Post a Comment