Monday, January 20, 2014

The Cup is Half Empty?

Often when I think of going on a retreat, I think “How will this benefit me?” or “Will this refresh me, so my life will be more exciting?” The focus usually starts with a selfish desire to see myself be filled or satisfied. I find I come to God more often to ask for things rather than to just soak up His presence.

“Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life” (John 4:13 NIV).



The Embrace Retreat is about embracing God, neighbour, stranger.  But first, before I’m ready to embrace, I realize I need to let go! Let go of expectations, desires, control, etc. I need to stop drawing from the well of this world, which keeps me coming back empty. I am thirsty for something more than what the world can offer.

As I realize my thirst for God, I become more aware about how much He wants to be a refreshing spring in us. The cup we drink is no longer half empty, but rather welling up with life!

Post by Mike - Young Adults Leadership at Waterloo MB Church

No comments:

Post a Comment