I grew up in the 70’s before seat
belts and hockey helmets.
Believe it or not my dad would remove the seat
belts from our cars because they were uncomfortable to sit on. Safety was not a big priority. Today I wear my seatbelt, although I
feel it confronts my home culture every time.
There is an incredible ad in the U.K.
that shows a mother and daughter wrapping their arms around their dad’s waist
and shoulder to take the place of the seatbelt he is not wearing. Intervention at its best! Their embrace saves his life.
This missional retreat is about that
embrace. We need to come to know God’s embrace as a dramatic rescue. I need to be aware of the deep peril that my friends and strangers are
facing and be prepared to intervene. This embrace is intimate, it
involves touch and strength. It is intentional and has an immediacy to it.
I find myself asking: what is
my capacity to intervene? Or is it even my home culture? Do I position my
life to embrace my neighbour? Am I even aware of the peril faced by strangers
near me and around the world? How does God want to respond to them through me?
How do I need to know God’s embrace today so I can freely extend it to others?
Embrace God, neighbour, stranger.
It saves lives.
Post by Philip - Mission Mobilizer for MB Mission Eastern Canada
No comments:
Post a Comment